It can become far too easy, as time goes on, to forget the names and faces of our persecuted brothers and sisters we have prayed for in the past. This week, an update from Middle East Concern thankfully returned my attention to the kidnapped foreigners in Yemen who remain missing.
In your prayers today and in the coming weeks, please do pray for the hostages who remain missing and for those who have been returned to their families.
In recent months we have requested prayer following the kidnapping on Friday 12th June 2009 of nine foreigners in Saada, north-west Yemen, three of whom were murdered shortly afterwards. Recall that two were freed unharmed on 17th May.
There continues to be no news of Johannes and Sabine (a German couple), Simon (their son, aged 2) or of Tony (a British man). Lydia and Anna (5 and 4, daughters of Johannes and Sabine) who were freed in May are with relatives in Germany.
The Muslim fasting month of Ramadan started on Wednesday. Therefore, Johannes, Sabine and Tony (assuming they are alive) will probably be forced to fast during daylight hours, which are approximately 4:15 am to 6:30 pm in northern Yemen.
Christians in Yemen thank us for our prayers and request our continued intercession. Please pray that:
1. The missing four (assuming they are alive) will know the peace, presence and daily provision of Jesus and will be released unharmed shortly
2. They will lack nothing during Ramadan
3. Efforts by those seeking to secure their release will be successful
4. Lydia, Anna and their relatives will know the presence and peace of Jesus
5. The families and colleagues of those missing and murdered will know the peace of Jesus amidst continuing speculation and uncertainty
6. All expatriate Christians in Yemen will know the Lord’s guiding and protecting at this time
7. The perpetrators will be convicted by the Spirit and drawn to the forgiveness, love and true life offered by Jesus.