|Please pray for Egyptian Christians!|
Street battles broke out across the neighbourhood of Imbaba, in the western part of Egypt’s capital, after Salafi Muslims turned out in force to demonstrate outside Saint Menas Church Saturday night.
The hardline Muslims were angry over rumours that a Christian woman was being held against her will inside the church because she wanted to convert to Islam and marry a Muslim man. Christians deny the claims.
The Salafis set the front of the church ablaze while Christians were still inside the building, and threw petrol bombs at homes and shops.
As the violence spiralled, Christians and Muslims threw stones at one another and gunshots could be heard. The nearby Virgin Mary Church was also set ablaze.
Riot police moved in to quell the violence with tear gas and by firing warning shots into the air, but some Christians say they did not do enough to bring the situation under control.
Read full stories about the attacks here, here and here.
Please pray that:
- The bereaved will know the comfort of Jesus
- The wounded and traumatized will know the healing touch of Jesus
- Church leaders will know the Spirit's enabling as they pastor their congregations and deal with community leaders
- The authorities will fulfil their commitment to bring all perpetrators of sectarian violence to justice in this and any future incidents
- False rumours of people being imprisoned in Church property will be effectively squashed by community leaders
- All officials involved will love mercy, act justly, learn about Jesus and choose to follow Him