Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Muslims threaten to kill priest in Egypt

Recently there has been an increase
of reports of Christian persecution in
Egypt’s Minya region.
Last week, we told you about the kidnapping of two Christian girls in the province of Minya, Egypt – an incident that added to an already long list of violence in the area.

The Assyrian International News Agency reports a Coptic priest in the same region was threatened late last week by a mob of Muslims that surrounded the church of St. George.

Father George Thabet was serving the morning mass when hundreds of Muslims, some armed, surrounded the church vowing to kill him.

Eye-witnesses reported the Muslims chanted, “We will kill the priest, we will kill him and no one will prevent us." One Muslim said they would "…cut him to pieces."

Security forces arrived and escorted Father George in a police car to the Coptic Diocese in Minya. Youth from the church remained to defend the building from the Muslims.

The Muslim attacks on St. George church began when the church began legal renovations on their building. The Muslims demanded they cease construction and ordered Father George to leave the area, giving him a 50-day time limit.

Muslims have been gathering around the church since June 21 when they learned that Father George had returned.

Pray for Egyptian Christians!
  • Pray for safety for Father George and his family amidst the threats on his life.
  • Pray that the ministry of churches in Egypt will continue and that the Gospel will be preached throughout this nation.
  • Pray that Muslims in Minya will come to faith in Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment