|Somali Muslim converts from Islam are harshly dealt with, |
like the believer pictured here who was beaten.
(Photo: Compass Direct News)
Sofia Osman, a 28-year-old Christian from Janale city in Somalia's Lower Shabelle region, had been taken into custody by al Shabaab militants in November.
The public whipping was meant to mark her release. She received 40 lashes on December 22 while jeered by spectators.
"[Sofia] was whipped 40 lashes ... but she didn't tell what other humiliations she had suffered while in the hands of the militants," an eyewitness said, adding that the whipping left her bleeding. "I saw her faint. I thought she had died, but soon she regained consciousness and her family took her away."
The whipping was administered in front of hundreds of spectators after Sofia was released from her month-long custody in al Shabaab camps.
In the days after the punishment while Sofia was nursing her injuries at her family's home, she would not talk to anyone and looked dazed, a source close in touch with the family said. "Please pray for her quick recovery," the source added.
You can help by praying!
- Pray the Lord will completely heal Sofia of all physical and emotional injuries.
- Ask the Lord to protect her from further harm.
- Pray that she will rest in the knowledge that the Good Shepherd walks with her through this difficult time (Psalm 23).
- Pray her faithful testimony will be used as a witness for the gospel.
- Pray for all Christians in Somalia.